Powered by Blogger.

News and Notes: Monday Edition

Above, Brian Kreefer ('09) at Duke during the 2007-2008 season.  Below, some news and notes for Monday...
  • The Ithaca Journal covers Jeff Foote's (Cornell '10) signing in Europe.  The Journal writes:
Former Cornell center Jeff Foote, a member of the Big Red's 2010 team that advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16, is pictured in action for the NBA Development League's Springfield Armor on Dec. 2, 2011, against the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Foote, a graduate of Spencer-Van Etten High, is averaging 15.4 points and 8.9 rebounds for the Armor. 
ITHACA — Jeff Foote, a 2010 Cornell University graduate and three-time All-Ivy League center for the Big Red, has signed a contract to play with Lithuanian professional basketball team Zalgiris Kaunas for the upcoming season.
Foote, who played with the New Jersey Nets in the Orlando Pro Summer League, was introduced by the team Friday. In addition to competing in its national professional league, Zalgiris Kaunas is a member of the Euroleague, Europe’s 18-team elite professional league.
The news of Foote’s signing follows reports of Zalgiris’ starting center last season, Robertas Javtokas, expecting to be sidelined for an extended period of time after requiring surgery for a stress fracture in his foot. Foote was listed at 7 feet, 265 pounds on the Nets’ summer league roster.
Foote, a Spencer-Van Etten High graduate, attended the Nets’ free agent camp May 21-23, and was called up by the New Orleans Hornets on a 10-day NBA contract last March. Also during the season, he had a successful campaign with the Springfield Armor of the NBA Development League, the affiliate of the Nets, where he averaged 15.1 points and 8.9 rebounds in 39 games.
At Cornell, Foote was a part of three Ivy League championship teams (2008-10) and was a key piece in the Big Red’s run to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament in 2010. He was named Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year in 2009 and 2010, and as a senior averaged 12.4 points while leading the league in field goal percentage (.633) and rebounding (8.1 per game).
  • Foote was formally introduced by Zalgiris on its official website.  Foote was in street clothing this weekend while his team captured the championship of the preseason Butautas Cup.
  • Jeff Aubry (Cornell '99) had 10 rebounds to go along with 8 points off the bench to help his Halcones Rojos pick up an 82-67 win over Osos in Mexico's LNBP action.  Halcones is 2-1 on the season.
David Onuorah is a 6’8 physical specimen that saw his stock rise after impressive showings during the April recruiting period. The Nigerian-born power forward was on the recruiting list of several high-major Colleges, but made a verbal Commitment to Cornell University after attending the Cornell’s Prospect Camp in June. In regards to his game, David brings toughness and high energy to the court, he is able to finish around the rim and his midrange game is improving all the time. The basketball court is not the only place that David excels, he is also a high academic student and had options to attend various Ivy league programs. TNB recently caught up with David for an interview where we touched on his background, basketball prospects, aims for the future, and more….Special thanks goes out to David for making this interview happen….
TNB: Firstly, tell us a little bit about your background, and how you got into basketball?
David Onuorah: Both My Parents were born and raised in Nigeria in the Ibo Tribe. I was born in the America, in Atlanta, Ga. Growing up, basketball was always been a part of me. I remember when I was a kid, I loved watching basketball. My favorite team back then was Lakers because they had Kobe and Shaq, who were my two favorite players at the time. I remember for my 5th birthday my parents got me this outdoor basketball hoop and I would shoot on it everyday until it got dark and I had to go inside. I’ve always loved the game.
TNB:Who has been the biggest influence in your sports career and why?
David Onuorah: The biggest influence in my sports career would be my mom. My mom works so hard to provide for me and my siblings that I have no excuse but to give my best effort in basketball, school, and everything I do. She truly inspires me to be great.
TNB:You signed for Cornell early on this year, what was the overall deciding factor that made you choose Cornell?
David Onuorah: I verbally committed to Cornell, I have not signed yet. And there were multiple factors involved with my decision. I first and foremost wanted a school where I can get a great education and earn a priceless degree. I also wanted to go somewhere where I could come in and start making an immediate impact, and ultimately leave my imprint on the program when I’m done. And lastly I wanted to go somewhere where I feel comfortable with the team and the coaching staff. All these factors were present at Cornell and they had been recruiting me for a full 2 years now so I feel that they know me best and can help me reach that next level.
TNB:What would you say are your strengths on the basketball court, and what will you like to improve on?
David Onuorah: I would say my strengths are my athleticism, ability to run the floor, strength, finishing around the basket, rebounding, defending, and playing physical. I would say that I have a solid post game and a midrange jumper that I’m improving to make
more consistently. I’m also working to improve knocking down the 3 ball with more consistency as well.TNB:What would you like to accomplish during your college sports career?
David Onuorah: I would like to achieve multiple conference championships and ultimately win a national championship. Personally, I
want to be recognized as one of the best players in the conference and ultimately one of the best in the nation. I want to be remembered as
one of the most hard-working and determined student-athletes at my school (Cornell).TNB:You are from a Nigerian background, will you ever consider representing the Nigerian team in future, and what will it mean to you?
David Onuorah: I would definitely consider the opportunity to play and represent Nigeria on the Nigerian Team. It would mean alot to me and all my family to play for Nigeria. My parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and many friends of mine all share my same Nigerian background. To play and represent all of my family and the great nation of Nigeria would be an honor.
TNB:Your ritual before a basketball game?
David Onuorah: Before games, I like to get a good meal about an hour and a half before the game to give myself time to digest it. I like to stretch for about 15 minutes before I begin shooting and warming up. I have a gametime music playlist that I listen to while I’m doing all this. I also have a pregame workout I like to do but I’m not always able to do.
TNB:Durant or D.Wade?
David Onuorah: As much of a D-Wade fan I really am, I would have to say Durant. Durant is a 6’10 small forward. He can shoot, go by you, pull up, post, catch and shoot, and so much more. He’s virtually unguardable and he’s one of the best scorers to ever play the game. Additionally his length and quickness on the defensive end allows him to get a lot of blocks and alter a lot of shots.
TNB:Rebounds or Blocks?
David Onuorah: Blocks are more exciting than rebounds, but rebounds are more important towards winning so I would say rebounds.
TNB:If you were not a basketball player you would be a?
David Onuorah: If I were not a basketball player, I would probably be a swimmer or a football player.
TNB:Last Nigerian food you ate?
David Onuorah: The last Nigerian meal I enjoyed was rice with stew.

0 comments:

Post a Comment