Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

News and Notes: Tuesday Edition

Below, news and notes...

  • Cornell will have five games this season broadcast on ESPN's family of channels.  These include all three games in the Charleston Classic starting with Cornell vs. South Carolina, Cornell's December 31 game at Syracuse (ESPNU) and the February 14 game at Harvard (ESPN3).
  • NYC Buckets previews the Ivy League and writes in part of its preseason award winners:
All-Conference First Team
Wesley Saunders, Harvard
Siyani Chambers, Harvard
Justin Sears, Yale
Maodo Lo, Columbia
Shonn Miller, Cornell
...The last time we saw a healthy Shonn Miller, he was leading Cornell in scoring while doubling as one of the league’s best defenders. After missing all of last season with a shoulder injury, Miller returns to a Cornell team that should rely on him as much as possible.
  • iBerkshires interviewed Marist coach, Mike Maker and he mentioned Kevin App (Cornell '07) who succeeded Maker as head coach of Williams College.  Here is part of the interview:
Question: When you talk about the legacy you left, were you asked at all about Kevin [App]?
Maker: I really wasn't involved in that process. I told the players, after I told them I was leaving, to trust the process. Trust that Lisa Melendy as the athletic director and Adam Falk as the president and that committee ... I mean, Williams is a really special place, and they know what they're doing. They didn't need my input.
Was I asked what I thought about the field? Of course. But Kevin earned that job. Kevin didn't get that job because he was my assistant. He's a good candidate. And they had other good candidates as well. They had to tell a lot of good candidates no — just like they had to when I got the job. Just like they had to when Harry [Sheehy] got the job. Just like they had to when coach [Al] Shaw got the job. And let's remember, coach [John] Wooden interviewed for the Williams job way back when. It's a coveted job.
There's going to be disappointed candidates there. But I'm really happy for Kevin, and I'm confident he'll do a fine job.
***
Question: With all of that said, how happy are you that it did stay in the family?
Maker: I'm really happy for Kevin, but honestly I wanted the best person for the job, even if it wasn't one of 'my guys.' It's a Williams guy. Kevin was at Williams in the infant stages of building the program with me for one year. And he did a phenomenal job, and then he went on to Cornell and they went to the Sweet 16, and then he was at West Point with Zach [Spiker], who's doing a terrific job [and who Marist plays on Nov. 22.
I think he's ready, but there were other good candidates as well. And I don't think they could have made a poor choice. I'm really happy for Kevin, but I didn't get the Williams job on my first try, either. It's a highly coveted position. I think they made an excellent choice, and I know he'll do a good job.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment